Saturday, July 23, 2011

Moving up to a coupon binder

I've been using an accordion file for my coupons for years.  It was how my mom shopped.  In my opinion an accordion file is a perfectly fine system for filing coupons.  However, my coupon stash has gotten too big for the file.  I find myself spending a lot of time looking for coupons that I know I have - especially in the heath & beauty section.  So I am in the process of converting the system into a binder.  It's not fancy or complex.  Just a 1.5" binder, some tabbed dividers, baseball card sheets & sheet protectors for the larger coupons that won't fit into the sheet protectors.  I kept my categories the same as my accordion file - that part of the system still works for me.  My husband asked if I was going to bring this binder shopping with me.  Of course!  I am going to be "that customer".  If I'm going to save on average 60-65% off of the retail cost of a grocery bill then I'm going to be "that customer".

I don't spend too much time couponing each week.  I scan through two circulars, look at what is on sale, what coupons I have and what coupons will be coming out.  I make my list and order any coupons I need from the coupon service I use, CouponsThingsbyDede.com. It probably takes be under two hours per week.

I spend about an hour at the grocery store.  This is mostly because my list is organized.  I have started using an excel sheet to calculate prices based on the sales and coupons.  This reduces the sticker shock at the register and I can try to keep things in perspective (do I really need to buy four boxes of tampons just to get a Catalina coupon at the register? I don't think so.).  I sort the list by the layout of my store, making the trip go quickly.  Oh, and I do my best to leave the kids & hubby home.  This is a solo trip for me without any distractions. 

I don't have a huge stockpile in my garage or taking up space in rooms of my house.  I do have a good stock of pasta, formula, baby food, granola bars and cereal.  All staples that my family use regularly.  If it's going to expire before we can consume it then I don't go nuts with large quantities. 

I'm hoping to have my binder done by the end of the weekend.  Spending time with the kids is delaying the process.  I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment