Thursday, September 29, 2011

Note to Self: Menu Planning First; Then Food Shopping

I jumped at the chance to go food shopping while my husband spent time with my 9 month old.  I hit Target, Costco & ShopRite.  I'm not an extreme couponer.  I do ok for my family. 

Today wasn't one of my best days at ShopRite.  I only saved 52%.  Part of the reason was that I wasn't up on my coupon policy & didn't realize that they'll only double the first 4 coupons for an item.  I noticed after I already paid.  I could have returned the item.  Considering that I got Whole Grain Breaded Chicken Strips which retail for $4.79 for $1.83 each I think I still did ok. 

I watched TLC's Extreme Couponing last night.  While the percentages these people are saving is high (hence, making them extreme couponers), I take a look at what they have in their shopping carts and wonder how they can eat like that.  A lot of these couponers are filling their carts with soda, candy, junkie cereals, and tons of processed food. 

I have a different set of priorities.  I'd rather feed my family decent food & pay 30% more than spend $10 for a cart load of junk.  Which is why you won't see my percentages higher than 70% off retail. 

Even though I only saved 52% off here are a few things I came home with:
  • Perdue Whole Grain Baked Breaded Chicken Strips
  • Wheaties Cereal 
  • Organic Baby Formula
  • Nature Valley Granola Thins
  • Barbara's Natural Cereal
  • Fruitables Juice Boxes
  • Perdue Ground Chicken Breast
  • Smart Balance Spread with Omega-3s
  • Frozen Vegetables
  • Yo Baby Yogurt
  • Danimals Yogurt
 At Costco I was able to score some Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon & Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth.  I was very excited about that. 

I just finished my menu planning for the week & as much as I tried to incorporate what we already have in our house (we don't exactly have a "stockpile"), I realized that I still need to pick up some items.  So tomorrow I'll run out to the store with my 9 month old & my niece and pick up what I missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment